New Hampshire Pardon/Expungement Process

The State of New Hampshire has several different avenues that someone can take to rid themselves from the consequences of having a criminal record. An annulment treats the offender as if he had never been arrested, convicted, or sentenced and relieves the offender from further penalty from the crime. Annulments can be pursued if charges were dropped or if the offender was found innocent at trial. For all other offenses the waiting period to apply for an annulment is as follows:

  • Violation- 1 year, with exceptions
  • Class B misdemeanor- 3 years
  • Class A misdemeanor- 3 years
  • Class B felony- 5 years
  • Class A felony- 10 years
  • Felony indecent exposure or lewdness- 10 years

A pardon petition can only be applied for if an offender has already applied for an annulment and been denied. The Governor grants pardons very rarely.

In order to apply, you must write to:

Office of Attorney General
State of New Hampshire
33 Capitol Street
Concord, NH 03301-6397

Telephone: 603-271-3658
Fax: 603-271-2110

back to US States Information