Kentucky Pardon/Expungement Process

The Governor has the authority to commute sentences and pardon infractions of state law. The Governor also has the authority to restore the right to vote and hold public office to any person who has been convicted of a felony in any state or federal court.

Application for commutation of sentences and pardons must be made directly to the Governor. Applications for restorations of civil rights must be obtained by contacting the Department of Corrections, Division of Probation and Parole. These applications are processed by the Department of Corrections and then submitted to the Governor office.

In order to have your records sealed you must file a separate petition/motion for expungement in order to have your records sealed. It must be five years from conviction or probation sentencing depending whichever comes later.

back to US States Information