Colorado Pardon/Expungement Process

The state of Colorado offers only the Governor’s pardon or commutation of sentence. A pardon cannot be requested until ten years have passed since completion of the sentence and usually after the sentence has been vacated by the courts. The application is sent to the judge and the district attorney on the case and the victims will be contacted. The governor has the final say on all pardons that are granted. The Department of Corrections will assist in filing for a request for clemency. Once granted a pardon, all rights will be restored EXCEPT the right to possess firearms. Once a pardon is granted, you have the option to petition the court to have your records expunged

NOTE: Firearm restoration must be done through the Department of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, after a pardon has been granted.

back to US States Information